Hair perfume? Hair scent?? What is this in the market?
Have you ever heard of something called – hair perfume or hair scent? To be honest, I didn’t know until recently that there is a product made solely to add fragrance to the hair. I have seen some of my friends using dry shampoo or powder into their hair sometimes when they are in a hurry to make their hair look fresh and remove sweat but never heard of hair scent.
Our shampoo and conditioner scents linger long after we wash our hair because hair is a natural diffuser. The hair shaft and follicle naturally absorb odors and diffuse them. Hair is a strong carrier for all kinds of scents that is why your hair must smell good. Hair scents do make sense. I remember in one episode OF F.R.I.E.N.D.S when Ross tries to smell Rachel’s hair (BTW I am a huge fan of F.R.I.E.N.D.S :D)
Hairs scents are a great quick fix to freshen up your unwashed hair or to make them look shiny and smooth. If you are someone who does not like to wash your hair every alternative/third day, this will be a lifesaver. I Tried researching hair scents in the market and found it little over my budget so I thought why not try to create some of the hair scents at home only. The recipe is very simple with just 3 ingredients and will make everybody fall in love with your hair even on a very sweaty day.
So, let us go ahead and read how can we make our hair scents at home:
- Essential of your choice. Popular essential oil scents are lavender, rose, lemongrass, cedarwood, orange, pink grapefruit, and more. You can mix many essential oils to get a fragrance of your choice. If you do not have it and you are not in the mood to purchase any you can add a few drops of your favorite leave-in-conditioner. I always prefer using tea tree oil which I got it from Nykaa
- Carrier ingredients like Aloe vera gel or jojoba oil
- Rosewater or distilled water: I always use the one from Dabur which is available almost in every home or you can get it from any nearby place/ online
- Spray bottle : You can get it from Amazon if you do not have it at your home.
Steps to make
- To start, mix two spoons of jojoba oil or aloe vera gel with essential oils of your choice ( leave-in conditioner if you are using that). Keep the number of drops of essential oils as per the fragrance you want. Generally, around 30-40 drops are fine. You can do this directly in the spray bottle or I would suggest mixing in a separate bowl to make sure everything is blended perfectly.
- Simply add 3/4th of rose water or distilled water to the mixture and mix it well again.
- Store it in a spray bottle
How to use
- Shake it well before every use
- Spray onto the lengths of hair as desired
- You can also mist it onto your hairbrush if you don’t want to apply directly on your hair
- Keep shaking the bottle during since oil and water naturally separate
- Avoid contact with eyes
That’s it. Do you see how simple it was to make your hair scent? Are you ready to give it a try? Do let me know in the comments or here which essential oils did you use and how was your experience with this DIY. I hope you like it and it can be useful to you. To check out more DIYs head to my Cheap Thrills page
Happy experimenting 🙂