Do you often feel facial serums heavy on your wallet? Looking for something much cheaper and easy? Go ahead and make your facial serum at home with some easily available ingredients. However, before that, let us explain a few things about facial serum for our newbies into the world of skincare.
What is a facial serum?
A facial serum is one of the most negligible product. It contains the active nutrients like vitamin C, anti-oxidants etc needed for your skin in high concentration. They give hydration boost to your skin. Using a face serum is an essential step of our skincare.
What is the difference between moisturizer and serum?
Some of you might be wondering what is a difference between a moisturizer and a serum. Moisturizers are basically for the top layer of the skin while the serum is for below the epidermis and hydrate the skin very effectively on the deepest level. A serum is generally thinner than a moisturizer.
What are the benefits of using a serum regularly?
- Improves skin texture and make your dull skin brighter
- Lighten marks, blemishes and spots on the face occurring due to UV radiations and ageing.
- Helps in reducing fine lines and wrinkles
- Reduction in size of open pores
- It will make the skin more moisturized
Now that we have understood the benefits, let us quickly get into making our serum. It is very easy to make at home and I have tried to use all the ingredients which are easily available at home.
What are the ingredients needed?
- One tablespoon glycerine
- Four tablespoons of rosewater
- Two Vitamin E capsule – Easily available on any medical store or buy it from here
- Half tablespoon of aloe vera gel: I have used this one St. Dvence Aloevera gel . You can use the one from Patanjali also.
- One Lemon
- One tablespoon of any carrier oil (eg.Almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil) – Use whichever is easily available
- Ten drops of tea tree oil. If Tea tree oil is not available you can also use lavender oil or any other essential oil suitable for your skin. e.g: Tea Tree oil, Lavender oil
- A clean glass bottle
What are the steps to make to face serum?
- Take a small empty bowl and put half tablespoon of aloe vera gel into it. Add one tablespoon glycerine to this.
- Now add the vitamin E capsules and lemon juice to it.
- Put one tablespoon of whichever carrier oil you have taken and add 10 drops of either tea tree oil or lavender oil. If you wish to add both, then use 5 drops of each.
- Finally, Pour around four tablespoons of rose water. Mix everything well in the bowl. Empty the mixture into the glass bottle and shake it to mix all the ingredients thoroughly.
How to use a face serum?
Cleanse your face properly with a face wash suitable for your skin type. Take a few drops of your face serum and apply it on your face in a thin layer, and massage until it is fully absorbed into your skin with soft, small upward strokes. Apply your daily moisturizer after this. Know about your skin type Read: Know your skin type in 5 simple steps
I hope you like this DIY. It is very easy to make and you will see a noticeable difference within your skin with the regular use. I have been using this from past two months and I can see a noticeable change on my skin. Let me know your feedback if you try this in the comments or here. Also, do check out the DIY of last month here: Best Under eye cream in 2 minutes